Garcinia cambogia is native to India and Southeast Asia. The fruit pulp and rind have long been used in Asian countries as a condiment and food preservative. The rind contains a chemical called hydroxycitric acid (HCA), which has been studied for its effect on appetite.
- 1 What plant does Garcinia cambogia come from?
- 2 Where is Garcinia found?
- 3 Can Garcinia cause liver damage?
- 4 Is Garcinia cambogia a fruit or vegetable?
- 5 What is the best way to lose belly fat?
- 6 How much weight can you lose with Garcinia?
- 7 Is Garcinia cambogia same as kokum?
- 8 What is the side effect of Garcinia cambogia?
- 9 What is the active ingredient in Garcinia cambogia?
- 10 Does Garcinia affect your heart?
- 11 How many Garcinia pills should I take a day?
- 12 What are the benefits of Garcinia?
- 13 What can I take to curb my appetite?
- 14 Can tamarind reduce belly fat?
What plant does Garcinia cambogia come from?
Garcinia cambogia is a popular weight loss supplement. It is derived from a fruit of the same name, also called Garcinia gummi-gutta or Malabar tamarind.
Where is Garcinia found?
Garcinia is a genus of flowering plants in the family Clusiaceae native to Asia, America, Australia, tropical and southern Africa, and Polynesia.
Can Garcinia cause liver damage?
Weight loss products labeled as containing Garcinia cambogia been linked to the development of clinically apparent acute liver injury which can be severe and even fatal.
Is Garcinia cambogia a fruit or vegetable?
Garcinia gummi-gutta is a tropical species of Garcinia native to South Asia and Southeast Asia. Common names include Garcinia cambogia (a former scientific name), as well as brindle berry, and Malabar tamarind. The fruit looks like a small pumpkin and is green to pale yellow in color.
What is the best way to lose belly fat?
19 Effective Tips to Lose Belly Fat (Backed by Science)
- Eat plenty of soluble fiber.
- Avoid foods that contain trans fats.
- Don’t drink too much alcohol.
- Eat a high protein diet.
- Reduce your stress levels.
- Don’t eat a lot of sugary foods.
- Do aerobic exercise (cardio)
- Cut back on carbs — especially refined carbs.
How much weight can you lose with Garcinia?
On average, garcinia cambogia has been shown to cause weight loss of about 2 pounds (0.88 kg) more than a placebo, over a period of 2–12 weeks ( 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ).
Is Garcinia cambogia same as kokum?
One of the star foods used in the Konkan region and also in Maharashtra, Gujarat, parts of Kerala and the Kannada region, is Kokum, aka Garcinia indica, twin sister of Garcinia cambogia.
What is the side effect of Garcinia cambogia?
Possible Side Effects When you take garcinia cambogia, you might get: Dizziness. Dry mouth. Headache.
What is the active ingredient in Garcinia cambogia?
What is the active ingredient and how does it work? The skin, or rind of Garcinia cambogia fruit contains large amounts of hydroxycitric acid (HCA). HCA is a derivative of citric acid, and is marketed as a weight loss supplement, either alone or in combination with other supplements.
Does Garcinia affect your heart?
Garcinia might increase a brain chemical called serotonin. Pentazocine (Talwin) also increases serotonin. In theory, taking Garcinia along with pentazocine (Talwin) might increase serotonin too much. This could cause serious side effects including heart problems, shivering, and anxiety.
How many Garcinia pills should I take a day?
Recommended Dosage Most garcinia cambogia supplements suggest taking one 500-mg pill three times a day before a meal. However, up to 2,800 mg a day appears to be safe for most healthy people ( 23, 26 ).
What are the benefits of Garcinia?
In the U.S., garcinia cambogia is most often found in tea or as a supplement. Claims made in support of garcinia cambogia’s potential benefits suggest that it can help weight loss, reduce appetite, lower cholesterol, improve rheumatism, and even relieve intestinal problems.
What can I take to curb my appetite?
A person can use the following ten evidence-based methods to suppress their appetite and avoid overeating:
- Eat more protein and healthful fats.
- Drink water before every meal.
- Eat more high-fiber foods.
- Exercise before a meal.
- Drink Yerba Maté tea.
- Switch to dark chocolate.
- Eat some ginger.
- Eat bulky, low-calorie foods.
Can tamarind reduce belly fat?
Helps in weight loss Studies suggest that eating tamarind daily might actually help in weight reduction since it contains flavonoids and polyphenols. Also, tamarind is loaded with hydroxycitric acid, which reduces your appetite by inhibiting amylase, an enzyme responsible for converting carbohydrate into fat.