What is Garcinia Cambogia?
It is a small pumpkin-shaped fruit that ranges in color from yellow to green to orange. The fruit is an Indonesia native. It also grows in Africa, India and other parts of Asia. Garcinia Cambogia is a relatively new term here in the US and the west in general. This can be attributed to the fact that the fruit does not naturally grow here. It goes by a few other names such as Gambooge, Malabar tamarind, and Brindleberry amongst others. Pure Garcinia Cambogia extract is made from the rind of a tamarind. It has only recently exploded onto the weight loss around the world scene thanks to Dr. Oz calling it the “Holy Grail of Weight Loss”. Garcinia cambogia is believed to be equally effective in men and women. But before you drop a dime on this weight loss supplement, you need to know what is garcinia cambogia and how it can help you.
What is Garcinia Cambogia Used For?
People in other parts of the world have used garcinia cambogia for it’s ability to suppress hunger (appetite). This claim made by others has been around for centuries. After ripening, the harvested fruit is sun dried. The rind is removed (extract) and used to prepare meals. This extract is said to be bitter and adding it directly to food for us “westerners” is most likely what it’s a turn-off. What is Garcinia Cambogia that turns most people off? The taste! Some say the extract was given to warriors to control their appetites during the day of battle.
What is Garcinia Cambogia good for?
In other parts of the world, the extract is used to treat:
- open sores
- and high levels of triglycerides and cholesterol
What is Garcinia Cambogia Called in Hindi?
- Malabar Tamarind
- Garcinia Cambodia
Garcinia Cambogia - Smart Dosage Recommendations:
- Your daily dosage should never exceed 3000 mg per day.
- It’s taken 30 to 60 minutes before a meal.
- The dosage will vary from 500-1000 mg per meal spread during the day for a total daily intake of 3000 mg
- A minimum of 50% of the active ingredient, hydroxycitric acid (HCA) must be present in any extract
- The most effective supplement contains 60% of the active ingredient hydroxycitric acid (HCA)
What Makes it Work?
The primary ingredient in the extract that acts as the appetite suppressant and fat burner is Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA). The rind of the fruit is loaded with HCA, which is the most potent source and the active ingredient. HCA is thought to have a role in the regulation of fat. HCA inhibits an enzyme named Citrate lyase which plays a major role in making the fat from the carbohydrates. Here’s how it works.
- One is suppressing the appetite
- Stops fat from being stored in the body by effecting how sugar is converted into fat on a cellular level
- Hydroxycitric acid (HCA) is known to stop the pancreas from producing alpha-amylase enzymes. This may prevent the body from breaking down starch into dextrin and maltose.
Garcinia Cambogia Side Effects:
Generally considered safe for the short duration, the actual long term use is still unknown. Some of the reported side effects are:
- upset stomach
- allergic reactions
Allergic reaction symptoms and signs could range from itching and skin rash to swelling of extremities, and difficulty breathing. Taking more than the recommended dosage (3000 mg per day) could be the cause of some of these reported reactions. Please follow the recommended dosage. What is Garcinia Cambogia you ask?
Interesting Factual Tidbits:
- Dr Oz calling it the “Holy Grail of Weight Loss” made the popularity of the fruit skyrocket in the Western world
- top reason for using this is to control cravings
- natural extract that helps people lose weight safer and faster
- HCA or hydroxycitric acid is the active ingredient
- products deemed to be the most effective contain 60% of the active ingredient Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA)
- no known long term side effects
- native to Indonesia, Africa, and other parts of Asia
- the rind of the fruit is where the extract comes from
- non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, sugar-free, yeast-free, vegan, wheat-free and free of harsh dyes or chemicals
- inhibits an enzyme that helps the body synthesize fat for storage in adipose tissue
- should be taken on an empty stomach, approximately 30 minutes before a meal for optimal effect
Does Garcinia Cambogia Work?
What is Garcinia Cambogia good for? Mostly as an appetite suppressant. But what you do after you stop taking it really determines the success of this supplement to long term weight loss. That is still unknown. While Dr Oz might consider this the holy grail of weight loss, other authorities like WebMD have other opinions when asked what is Garcinia Cambogia and it’s overall effectiveness.
What is Garcinia Cambogia used for? Developing research suggests that garcinia cambogia might prevent fat storage and control appetite. However, whether these effects occur in humans is unclear. They also list it as Possibly Ineffective for weight loss.
Further Research into What is Garcinia Cambogia:
At some point you’ll ask yourself, “Where can I buy Garcinia Cambogia?” Hopefully sooner rather than later, you’ll learn that most of the reviews are by people who are paid to review or simply don’t know what is working as they are taking so many things, they are clueless. Most of the time you will get the best deals on Garcinia Cambogia online. The problem is, the results are often in the hundreds from many websites and retailers. Quickly, you get overwhelmed with too many choices.
Here’s a list of tips and tricks you can use to find Garcinia Cambogia online and avoid the scammers, cheap product and fly by night companies. These tips and tricks will work for any supplements you buy and frankly, doing some research into anything before hand will save you time and money.
7 Things to Look for in Any Garcinia Cambogia Products:
- Must contain a bare minimum of 50% HCA extract; recommend to find one that contains 60%
- Daily dosage should be between 500-3000 mg per day (twice, three times a day prior to meals)
- Must not contain any fillers or additives – You want a pure extract
- Must not list the words “proprietary” formula as you will never be able to decipher what’s actually in the product
- Must display the supplement fact
- Must be from a reputable online retailer or store
- Check the FDA website for any recalls and safety warnings about the product you intend to purchase
There is no doubt that Garcinia Cambogia is becoming more popular in the Western hemisphere. You need to avoid buying false products, replicas and knockoffs. There are undoubtedly some retailers sell product that do not contain any of the active ingredient.
Do not buy products that a mixed with other ingredients.
So here’s what you can do to make sure you don’t get ripped off when trying to figure out what is garcinia cambogia.
Where can I buy Garcinia Cambogia? From an established retailer that has safeguards in place to ensure the product is guaranteed and you can return it without any hassle. My favorite is Amazon.com as I know they will refund my money and accept returns. They have customer service available thru the web, email and phone. You want to purchase from a place you know if there is an issue, you can ultimately speak to a live human that knows customer service.
Video: Where Can I Buy Garcinia Cambogia
Personally I like Amazon because it’s very easy to return products if there are defects or problems with the products. You might as well do your searches on Amazon, sort by price and popularity and then go thru the labels, see who’s selling and find a good product, at a reasonable price with the minimum amounts. Now you are welcome to purchase from anybody else of course but these shopping suggestions will help ensure you aren’t sidetracked by a fancy label and bogus promises. You need the purest extract to see the results and you do not want any other additives that could interfere with absorption or potentially lead to other side effects if you had a reaction to those fillers.
Hopefully you now have a good understand of this weight loss supplement. It is important to understand where it comes from. You need to know the correct dosage. The possible side effects of taking too much are now clear. The research that dampers some of the hype. The next time anybody asks “what is garcinia cambogia” you will have plenty of facts to help them make an informed decision.